Branding & Marketing: Seriously, What’s the Difference?
Branding and marketing are two imperative digital elements, but they are also two elements whose lines are often blurred.
This being said, it’s important for any business owner to understand the difference between branding and marketing so they can work on them separately before combining them at the right time.
If you are a business owner looking to make a digital impact but are unsure of the difference between branding and marketing, don’t despair – it’s a common situation.
Lunar Digital is here to dispel any confusion between the two so that you can apply them to your digital repertoire.
What is branding?
In the digital realm, branding is the way you present your company to potential customers.
Branding encompasses a range of creative and strategic processes to tell consumers what you have to offer, what you believe in, why they should buy from you and what they can expect from you down the track.
Successful digital branding answers the following questions:
- Who you are?
- What is your product?
- What are your brands principles & values?
- What makes your product special?
- Why did you want to create your product?
- What your customers should think of when they hear your brand?
- Words customers can use to describe your brand?
Once you have developed your product, branding should quickly become your number one priority. It has to be memorable, with a goal of becoming the first thing your customer thinks of when considering a purchase in your industry.
For example, think of an athletic brand. Done, and we’re going to assume you thought about Nike’s flowing Swoosh or Adidas’s slick and sharp three stripes symbol. They may be competing companies, but both are instantly recognisable for their brand identities.
These are two companies who have absolutely nailed the concept of branding, and why it is so important for business success.
What is marketing?
Digital marketing, conversely, is the set of tools and processes enlisted to convey your brand to the public. Marketing will adapt in time as your brand adapts, finding different ways to target different audience segments.
Marketing incorporates the following tools to reach your target market:
- A website
- SEO strategy
- Content marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Online advertising (Google Ads, Facebook advertising etc.)
- Social media
- Print advertising
And the list goes on. Digital marketing is all about seeking out new customers and making conversions. It is about promoting your brand and facilitating customers. After all, there is no use having a championing brand identity if you have no means of conveying it to your target audience.
So, how do I distinguish the difference between the two?
Essentially, brand identity is who you are and marketing is the way you take that message to the public. This is why the two are so easily confused – brand identity is at the core of your overall marketing strategy.
The process of branding becoming marketing works like this:
- You have developed your product and are ready to create your brand identity.
- You answer the above-listed vital questions about who you are, what are your principles, how you would like your customers to think of your brand etc.
- You then have to go to work on conveying the above questions to the consumer, and this is where branding becomes marketing.
- You enlist a series of tools, both digital and analog (if you desire), including SEO, pay per click advertising, Google Ads and some print advertisements.
- You continue to change and adapt your marketing strategy to further convey your brand identity to potential customers.
Why you need to know the difference
It’s important to know the difference between branding and marketing so that you can create a detailed strategy regarding both elements. This way, you can smoothly create your branding before putting it to use through the right marketing channels.
The most important thing is to separate the two before conjoining them for public view. This is why it’s important to know the difference between brand identity and marketing: marketing is how you attract new customers and drive sales, whilst branding is how you earn recognition and customer loyalty.
Lunar Digital is your branding and marketing go-to. We can develop winning, business-specific solutions that will ensure your brand is marketed perfectly to your target audience, with incredible results. Get in touch to find out how we can help you.